Web Application Development
My current and recent web-development projects include a variety of web sites and applications for businesses in Northeast Florida. In many cases I've provide the back-end database and programming in collaboration with other web designers. I've also developed and updated complete sites for and with business owners.
I've been building web sites for clients since 1995. (As in Netscape 1.0.)
Early projects supported energy-efficiency programs for government, non-profit and utility clients and included:
- database-driven reports and publications;
- training programs; and
- project support for work groups collaborating across organizational and geographic boundaries.
Later projects included a variety of database-driven web applications, providing:
- document management services;
- blogs and social-networking tools;
- project scheduling and workflow management;
- customer relations management (CRM) and fax marketing;
- consultant time and expenses management; and
- consultant invoicing.
Most recent projects support businesses in Northeast Florida.
Tools and Skills (and acronyms)
Several recent projects use:
- WordPress, including development of custom themes and plugins;
- X-cart, for e-commerce, or;
- a custom PHP MVC framework for smaller applications.
These web sites and applications are mostly developed and hosted on LAMP servers (Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL) using the following tools:
- PHP for server-side scripting, increasingly OO (Object-Oriented);
- MVC (Model, View, Controller) organization and frameworks;
- MySQL for relational databases;
- XML and JSON for other kinds of data;
- HTML5 and CSS;
- Postscript and PDF for some on-line publishing;
- an occasional Bash shell script for server-side support;
- many old-school Unix/Linux command-line utilities.